November 8, 2013

Excuse Me Officer!

As I look through the window of the Police cruiser and watch the transport driver illustrating how he shuffled back and forth in front of my car, I wonder whether he is bragging about how he created the problem or whether he is illustrating how he tried avoiding being hit by my car.  My next thought is, “Why am I the one sitting in the back of a police car while the guy who caused this fiasco is prancing around free and showing off to co-workers?” 

Right now, you are probably wondering how did Lila end up in the back of a police car?  So, before I go any further, let me start at the beginning.

I was on my way to work, listening to the radio and planning the day ahead, when suddenly I hear this loud crash on my windshield.  I look and much to my chagrin I see a half circle crack on the bottom of the passenger side windshield.  It is about 4 inches wide and I know it will eventually spread both across and up the windshield. 

The only vehicles that have passed me are a semi and his pilot truck so I knew who threw the rock that just cracked my windshield so I turn around and follow the rear pilot car.  I figure I can talk to the truck driver and we can exchange insurance information.  

When I catch up to them they are intersection stopped at the sign.  I think this is great, so I pull over to the far left side of the road get out of my car to go talk to the pilot truck driver.  I explain to him that the semi threw a rock and broke my windshield so I need to exchange insurance information.  The pilot truck driver tells me I have to talk to the semi driver.   I ask that he let the semi driver know I am pulling up to talk to him.  Simple enough you would think, right? 

As I pull up beside the semi with the intention of pulling around in front of it, the driver jumps out of the truck and starts shuffling back and forth in front of my car.  As I slowly inch forward I wonder what this madman is doing until he throws himself across the hood of my car and yells, “You hit me!  I’m calling the police!” and heads toward the open door of the semi, cell phone in hand.

Immediately I stop my car, get out and ask him why he’s doing that especially since I didn’t hit him but he threw himself across my hood.  I attempt to explain that all I need from him is insurance information.  While I’m trying to reason with him he continues to intimidate me by calling me names and yelling at me to get into my car and move it. 

I walk away and try again to make an attempt to reason with him but he continues with his crude tactics making me so frustrated I want to wring his neck and watch him do the funky chicken for me, but I know that is a ridiculous idea and, once again, try reasoning with him, to no avail. 

By this time, a few of his co-workers are on the return trip from their drop off point and there is no sign of a police officer, I know not to move anything at an accident scene until the police have assessed it and traffic is getting slightly congested.  The pilot truck driver, who is also responsible for directing traffic, has not even stepped out of his vehicle to do his job so I start directing traffic.
 
I had no problem directing a semi through the space between our vehicles without incident; however, the same cannot be said for the next vehicle, a pickup with a horse trailer.  As I direct him through the space, using the same signals I had used for the semi. I begin to wonder why the driver inching to his left, closer to the semi, when I’m directing him to come straight ahead. 
 
I look up through his windshield and immediately get my answer.  All I can see is the woman in the passenger’s seat so busy giving directions that he is paying no attention to the directions I am giving him outside.  No surprise to me, he inevitably bumps the corner of the horse trailer on the wind turbine propeller loaded on the semi. 

At this point the woman climbs out of the vehicle and tells me that I don’t know my hand signals because I was telling them there was lots of room.  Yes, lots of room come straight I respond.   I question her as to how I was able to direct another semi through the space using the same hand signals if I was using them incorrectly. 

I often feel that perhaps some of these self-appointed experts should actually take a lesson in real life and not on their ivory horses. 

To go on, about this same time the police finally arrive.  Not just one, but imagine four RCMP officers and a local peace officer all with vehicles.  At the same time I am thinking, what are they thinking that someone got murdered or is it because they have nothing else to do? 

The first officer on the scene proceeds to took insurance information from the people with the horse trailer and sent them on their way before getting to the original and actual problem that created the situation on hand. 

When the officer asks me to move my car and I tell him why I didn’t move it previously so that he can see where my car was when I supposedly hit the semi driver.  Once noted I got into my car and moved it into the pull off behind me. 

I was asked to provide a written statement in the back of the cruiser so I got in.  After giving him my statement he drove the car across the highway to talk to the other officer who took the semi driver’s statement.  For about 15 to 20 minutes I sat in the back of the police car and waited for the officer to return and let me go back to my own car. 

Finally when he did come back I questioned him as to why I was in the cruiser while the other guy was free and walking around.  This is one time when I can say I got one of those stupid answers that people give when they do not know what else to say. 

What he told me was that he did not want to leave me outside.  He must have felt foolish when I reminded him that I would not have been outside I would have sat in my car.  

All I can think is that he actually had me in the back of the car because he thought I had really committed an offence by driving into the fool who caused this fiasco. 


Regardless of what the officer may or may not have been thinking, it is just another ordinary day for Lila on Life (LOL).